Avert is an international HIV and AIDS charity, based in the UK, working to avert HIV and AIDS worldwide through education, treatment and care. Their website has a comprehensive account of most aspects of the disease including statistics, the history of the disease, information from every continent, photos and videos as well as up to date news HIV and AIDS related news and information.
The 2010 edition of the UNAIDS Report on the global AIDS epidemic includes new country by country ‘scorecards’ on key issues facing the AIDS response. Based on the latest data from 182 countries, this global reference book provides comprehensive analysis on the AIDS epidemic and response. For the first time the report includes trend data on incidence from more than 60 countries. You can download the full report, or just individual chapters here: www.unaids.org/globalreport/Global_report.htm
This is a poster sized map and companion chart providing a global view of HIV prevalence in 2009. The poster also includes regional trends in prevalence in map format.
The Dublin AIDS Alliance is a voluntary organisation working to improve conditions for people living with or affected by HIV and AIDS in Ireland. Their site gives basic infomation and facts on HIV and AIDS and various other STIs.
This website is useful if you are looking for wide ranging up to date statistics on HIV and AIDS in Ireland.
This website contains basic HIV and AIDS information, definitions and statistics. They also publish the latest news on HIV and AIDS issues from around the world in their Media Centre. There are also a number of publications available to download from WHO covering various aspects of the disease.
- Alan Whiteside (2008) ‘HIV and AIDS: A Very Short Introduction’ Oxford Uni Press, Oxford.
- Henning Mankell (2004) ‘I die: But the Memory Lives On’ The World AIDS crisis and The Memory Book.
- Michael J Kelly SJ (2010): ‘HIV and AIDS: A Justice Perspective’
- Linda K Fuller (2008) ‘African women’s unique vulnerabilities to HIV/AIDS. Communication Perspectives and Promises’sPalgrave and Macmillan, Hampshire.
- World Aids Day 2010 – Briefing Paper