The Exploitation Game: protecting families, protecting the planet – a development education resource for youth groups
A development education resource for youth group. Exploring the topic of oil exploration in Kenya.
The game has a wide range of potential learning outcomes related to power, business and human rights, inequality and land rights.
This Exploitation Game aims to support young people to explore the themes of land, resource and environmental rights.
This innovative and exciting resource will enable youth workers and young people to use this game as a tool to increase understanding and empathy. It is informed by youth work principles and practice and the application of games as experiential learning.
Key aims of Exploitation Game:
- Develop an understanding of the challenges communities and activists face when trying to protect their land
- Increase empathy with people globally whose human rights are exploited by big business
- Build understanding of complex global justice issues
- This game resource includes:
The board game includes:
- 4 Role Cards
- Oil Company Discs
- Oil Company Tracking Sheet
- 4 Special Power Cards
- 4 Counters
- 5 Tracking Discs
- Download the introduction and facilitator’s guide to The Exploitation Game PDF (13mb)
- Download Exploitation Game components, role player cards and instructions PDF (size A2, 3.6mb)
- Use this PowerPoint presentation with the group to assist with gameplay
- For more, visit Trócaire’s Mother Earth 2020 education materials micro-site