Global South Resources: South Africa lesson plan
This is resource includes a series of activities that are designed for use with second-level students who are establishing a link with a school in South Africa or have already established the link but need more classroom support.
The activities focus on preparing students for a global learning experience and getting to know their peers in South Africa, as well as working with primary source materials and evaluating their accuracy.
As well as links to primary sources in South Africa (news articles, videos etc.) this resource includes strong evaluation components for peer-learning and ongoing assessment.
- Students will distinguish between primary and secondary sources;
- Students will acquire and use skills to locate primary sources using the internet;
- Students will critically examine internet sources to determine their validity;
- Students will be introduced to South Africa through interaction with primary sources.
Part I Introduction to Global Learning
- Activity 1 – Across the Great Divide
- Activity 2 – Cultural Iceberg
- Activity 3 – Images and Messages
Part II Working with Primary Sources
- Activity 4 – Primary vs. Secondary Sources
- Activity 5 – Evaluating Internet Based Data
Part III Welcome to South Africa
- Activity 6 – Looking and Listening to South Africa
- Activity 7 – Culture Kit
- Activity 8 – Water
- Activity 9 – Carbon Footprints
- Activity 10 – Project Work on South Africa
Check out the annotation on the country lesson plans:
See our annotation on the supporting site Global South Resources by Waterford One World Centre