The Community Builder’s Approach to Theory of Change: A Practical Guide to Theory Development
A Theory of change can be a helpful tool for developing solutions to complex social problems. At its most basic, a theory of change explains how a group of early and intermediate accomplishments sets the stage for producing long-range results.
The Community Builder’s Approach to Theory of Change: A Practical Guide to Theory Development is for planners and evaluators who are going to facilitate a process for creating a theory of change with community based programs and community change initiatives. The resource is broken up into two sections.
Section one address the question ‘What is a theory of change?’. Section two is a resource toolbox for the theory of change facilitator.
Publisher: The Aspen Institute
Country of Origin: United States
Target Audience: Adult and Community Settings
Available Formats: Guidelines
Download The Community Builders Approach to Theory of Change PDF (366KB)
PowerPoint presentations downloadable from www.theoryofchange.org
The resource is broken up into two sections:
- Section one address the question ‘What is a theory of change?’
- Section two is a resource toolbox for the theory of change facilitator
- Reviews the Major concepts that define theories of change. For example, Pathways of change, indicators to measure success, Interventions along the pathway and assumptions that make the theory make sense.
- Provides Important background information for facilitators before they enter a planning session, and gives five tasks that a facilitator can do to create and refine a theory of change
- Offers a practical guidance for facilitating planning sessions. Five sessions are fully outlined.
- Documents a case study called ‘Project superwomen’ is outlined to show a portion of a finished Theory of Change
- Provides a list of materials to bring to a planning session
- Gives a ‘participants list’ that suggests the ideal composition of a theory of change building a team for a community-based program or initiative
- Includes glossary that could be distributed at the training sessions
- Points to PowerPoint presentations downloadable from www.theoryofchange.org