An Audit of Irish Development Education Resources
As part of its work programme for 2012, an audit of available development education (DE) resources produced in Ireland from 2000 to 2012 was conducted by developmenteducation.ie as part of a broader agenda of building up an annotated online database of such resources for the resources catalogue.
An Audit of Irish Development Education Resources is the first national study of development education resources produced over the period 2000-2012, broadly defined, that aims to record, annotate and ‘audit’ resources identified across all major education sectors in Ireland. The audit:
- Is based the study on 236 resources covering a a 12-year period from 2000 to end of 2012
- Includes 5 education sectors: Adult and Community Education (including Further Education); Youth; Higher Education; primary education and post-primary education
- Describes the availability or, more accurately, accessibility of such resources
- Designed and developed a statistical matrix to capture agreed qualitative indicators, organised by sector
- Includes findings based on thematic focus, by sector and target group and an extended commentary on gaps and opportunities, the ‘digital debate’, change and campaigning resources, and
- Finishes with 8 recommendation suitable for educators, resource producers (whether they be a youth group or civil society education writer), donors and researchers.
2. Research Methodology
3. Limitations of the audit
4. Audit statistics and findings
5. Commentary and conclusions
Appendix 1: template for resource audit annotations
Appendix 2: Content Framework Matrix
Appendix 3: No. of resources by thematic focus and sector
Database of resources annotated
The timeline for producing the audit during 2012 was as follows:
- Audit project approved by Irish Aid and MC – 14th August
- Research design (template agreed) – 21 to 31st August
- Literature review – 1 to 14th September
- Pilot phase –14 to 22nd September
- Pilot documents reviewed by MC and approved – 3rd October
- Auditing phase (collection and annotation) – 4th October to 20th December
- Report writing – 20 to 31st December
- Review, design and launch – spring 2013
- Download An Audit of Development Education Resources PDF
- Download Database of resources annotated XLS
**update: check out the follow-on audit of resources covering the 4-year period 2013-2016 published in 2017, Learning to Change the World: An Audit of Development Education Resources in Ireland 2013-2016.
- For more, check out the Guidelines for Producing Development Education Resources produced by the Development Education Group in Dóchas, developmenteducation.ie and the Irish Development Education Association (IDEA), which are offered to development educators, teachers, youth workers, writers and development workers in non-governmental organisations as a stimulus tool for planning and producing resources.